Care homes

carehomeThere are many types of residential care homes available. These include permanent care homes for older people, homes for younger adults with disabilities and homes for children. They may be privately owned or run by the voluntary sector or local authorities.

Older people

Care homes for older people may provide personal care or nursing care. A care home which is registered to provide personal care will offer support, ensuring that basic personal needs, such as meals, bathing, going to the toilet and medication, are taken care of. In some homes more able residents have greater independence and take care of many of their own needs.

Some residents may need medical care and some care homes are registered to provide this. These are often referred to as nursing homes.

Adults aged 18-65

There are also residential care homes that provide care and support for younger adults with, for example, severe physical disabilities, learning disabilities, acquired brain injury, progressive neurological conditions or mental health problems.

Children and adolescents

Some homes specialise in providing residential care for children. This could be for a variety of reasons, including physical or learning disabilities or emotional problems.

Residential special schools focus on education and provide teaching on site. Children in traditional children's homes are normally educated outside the home in an educational or training facility.

Care Homes in Thurrock

To find Care Homes in Thurrock go to the Care Homes finder in NHS Choices.