Health and welfare services
Within Thurrock, there are many community and voluntary services available to offer advice, help and support. Below is a list of some of the health and welfare issues that local groups provide help and information for. Click on the boxes to see what organisations are available to help.
Provides talking therapies for depression and anxiety and courses for building mental resilience.
- Inclusion Thurrock website
- Telephone 01375 898680 between 8am and 6pm
A local group that provides services to the community to support those with mental health problems
- Thurrock Mind website
- Address: Thurrock Mind, 152 Bridge Road, Grays, Essex, RM17 6DB
- Telephone: 01375 391411
- Address: Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL
- Telephone: 01375 402 276 for people aged 18 to 65, or 01375 413 910 for people over 65 years-old
- Councelling Directory website
- Address: Counselling Directory, Building 3, Riverside Way, Camberley, Surrey, GU15 3YL
- Telephone: 0844 8030 240 (Lo-call rate: 7p a minute plus telephone company access charge) Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
A national directory listing hypnotherapists who are members of a professional body or have proof of qualifications
- Hypnotherapy Directory website
- Address: Building 3, Riverside Way, Camberley, Surrey, GU15 3YL
- Telephone: 0844 8030 242
This charity helps support children and adults with learning disabilities as well as their carers. Their main aims are to give them an active social life and provide sports & activity projects.
- Thurrock Mencap website
Quitting smoking and health living
An NHS service which supports, advises and informs on ways to stop smoking, eat healthily and get active.
- Thurrock Healthy Lifestyle Service section
- Telephone: 0800 292 2299
Change4Life is a national campaign to help improve people's health and wellbeing. The local group in Thurrock provides prevention and treatment programmes for families with an unhealthy weight.
- Change4Life Thurrock website
- Address: Change4Life team, Oddfellows Hall, Dell Road, Grays, Essex RM17 5JY
- Telephone: 01375 898 100
Drug and Alcohol services
Inclusion Visions - adult substance misuse service
Inclusion Visions provides an open access 'walk in' advice and information service for anyone needing help with a substance misuse problem. Staff offer one-to-one support for more severe problems, along with complementary therapies, referral to psychological therapies and other services.
Adults who have severe or dependent problems with drugs, alcohol or so-called legal highs can get:
- substitute prescribing
- referral routes to detoxification
- community or residential rehabilitation
There is also a needle exchange service on site.
Inclusion Visions - Thurrock adult substance misuse service
Telephone: 0300 303 1018
Website: Inclusion Visions Thurrock
Wize-Up offers advice, information and support for children and young people to help them cut down or stop using substances (alcohol and drugs).
- Wize-Up Website
- Address: Unit 2, Thurrock Centre for Business, 2 George Street, Grays, Thurrock, Essex, RM17 6LY
- Telephone: 01375 376 111
Don’t Bottle it Up is an online tool which helps people identify the risks of their drinking and provides advice on cutting down. The tool includes a quick quiz that can identify the level of risk associated with your drinking. Once the test is completed, you can find out more about your level of drinking, whether you should seek medical help and details of local alcohol services near you. The tool is free to use for anyone living in Essex. If you would be interested in taking the test, visit the Don’t Bottle it Up website.
The Thurrock Coalition provides advice and information on a range of issues affecting disabled and older people.
- Thurrock coalition website
- Address: The Beehive Centre, West Street, Grays, Essex, RM17 6XP
- Telephone: 01375 389864
- Textphone: 07977531670
TCIL offers advice on issues that affect disabled people. The TCIL team can assist people with the majority of disability related issues.
- TCIL website
- Adress: The Beehive, West Street, Grays, Essex, RM17 6XP
- Telephone: 01375 389 864
- Text: 07977531670
Below are links to some of the organisations that operate within the voluntary sector in Thurrock. Click on the boxes for more information.
Thurrock volunteer centre
The centre works with residents to promote 'active citizenship' and volunteering opportunities, and encourage them to play a bigger part in their local community.
Thurrock Citizen Advice Bureau
- Citizen Advice Bureau website
- Address: Advice Bureau, Voluntary & Community Resource Centre, High Street, Grays, RM17 6XP
- Telephone: Advice Line 24hrs – 03444 770 808
CVS provides information, support, training and advice to community groups and organisations in Thurrock. It also brings Bringing voluntary and community organisations together to share knowledge, promote best practice and co-ordinate activity and opinion.
- CVS Website
- Address: The Beehive, West St, Grays, Essex RM17 6XP
- Telephone: 01375 389890
SNAP - children's special needs support charity
SNAP (Special Needs and Parents) is an Essex charity that provides support for families with children (0-25 years) who have special needs or a disability. The charity provides support and advice and can signpost you to public services in your area.
There's no need for a formal diagnosis and you don't need to be referred by a medical professional. You can contact the charity using the contact details below:
- Telephone: 01277 211300
- Website: www.snapcharity.org/
Hear from some of those who rely on the charity on the YouTube video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMl6qf56AX4